Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Blog Resurrection Attempt

Hello all,

This blog has been dead for a long time. I am trying to resurrect it :-)

I recently decided to work on a new personal project, a small video game engine. I basically extracted some code from the very nice Intel open source project, "Embree" (from Manfred Ernst and Sven Woop, outstanding guys I had the chance to work with in the past) you may find here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/embree-photo-realistic-ray-tracing-kernels/

Then, I quickly wrote some very basic pieces of code I threw here:

http://code.google.com/p/point-frag/

Nothing spectular actually.

Anyway, the first thing I would like to try is to build a "symetrical" multi-threading system. Basically, for several reasons (historical or because some hardware contexts are bound to one thread in particular) , games still use both "heavy" threads like the rendering thread or the main thread. The idea I would like to try is to build a tasking system where only worker threads exist (ie the main thread becomes a regular worker) and to replace every game / render loop by job pipelines.

Stay tuned :-)

1 comment:

A Bunch of Shady Code said...

Awesome! Glad to see the resurrection of this site! Look forward to the next update (hopefully soon)
James